Come Workshop with the Heights Observer
Join the Heights Observer staff for one, two, or all three workshops!
ABOUT THE WORKSHOPS: The Heights Observer is a hyper-local newspaper that shares community news and events in Cleveland Heights and University Heights. While the Observer has an editorial and technical staff, all of the content comes from residents like yourself! These workshops aim to help de-mystify the process of joining the ranks of citizen journalist and bringing your voice into the process.
WORKSHOP #1: How to Write for the Heights Observer – Sept. 12, 7-8:15 pm
- What we will and won’t publish
- Asking the right questions
- Writing made easier
- News v. opinion
- Hitting the right length
- How to submit your article for publication
WORKSHOP #2: How to Take Better Photos with your Phone (for the Observer and anything else) – Sept. 19, 7-8:15 pm
- What are the elements of a good Observer photo
- Phone photo basics
WORKSHOP #3: Understanding How the Observer Works – Oct. 3. 7-8:15 pm
- News v Opinion: How we decide
- Article length: Why it’s limited and how to deal with it
- Why some contributions don’t get published
- Public figures vs. private figures and the different treatment they receive
- Election policy
Advanced registration is required in order for you to receive the Zoom link. Questions, please reach out to Bob at email@example.com.